Friday 14 January 2011

The Past Week in Links - Alcoholic Birds, Funeral Party & Rémi Gaillard.

As the working week draws to a close I thought I'd keep you guys filled in about gems from across the interwebs - YouTube specifically - and the world in general that have kept me occupied for the past 5 days. So I hope you all enjoy them.

My Band of the Week - Funeral Party.
Hailing from the city of Whittier in California, my selection for band of the week are what can only be described as an eccentric almagamation of alternative/indie rock/dance punk/any other genre you can think of, Funeral Party. This band seem to tick all the right boxes when it comes to embodying an abundance of all the qualities that modern-day music has seemingly become bereft of. The first time I had the chance to hear the highly energetic quintet was live at Reading Festival 2010 at the Festival Republic Stage. In little over half an hour they managed to win-over what was a somewhat subdued crowd at the start of the show with their own, seemingly patented, clusterfuck of craziness. With their debut album scheduled to be available on iTunes from the 24th of this month, Funeral Party seem set to be one of the hottest bands of 2011 and I honestly can't recommend this band highly enough to anyone who's open to embracing a new, raw, crisp sound.

Link to their debut single NYC Moves to the Sound of LA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1ZR9R9LVeQ

My Story of the Week - Binge Drinking Birds.
As some of you may of heard, during the beginning of 2011 there were reports of masses of birds unfathomably plunging to the ground and perishing throughout the globe. Now, whilst many scientists have rather predictably identified numerous, conflicting reasons for the vast carnage, the head of the veterinary authority in the city of Constanta, Romania discovered a more peculiar cause. Romeu Lazar found that "tests on five birds showed gizzards full of grape marc which caused their death," which is a by-product formed from the production of wine. So in summary, the birds were off their faces, and as a consequence must have thought themselves to be indestructible. It's not that I don't find this story tragic, but it does kind make me wonder as to whether a new special edition of Angry Birds may become available on the iTunes App Store soon. Also, when I think of an intoxicated entity hitting the deck I can't help but think of a boozy, loudmouth faceplant onto the curb as they come out of a club on a Friday night out. Now it's not that I shouldn't be mature enough to look at that with a straight face at my age, but I think it's an event that always verges on the point of being piss-pants-hilarious to anyone that happens to be there.

Anyway, here's the link to that rather crazy story - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41037289/ns/world_news-europe/

Video of the Week - Top 10 Sports (Rémi GAILLARD).
If you've ever been an active user of YouTube for more than a few months, you will fully understand that it's almost nigh on impossible to escape the charistmatic yet cringeworthy charm of a Rémi Gaillard video. Now the YouTube phenomenon's back with his latest hit that had me accidentally spraying deodrant into my mouth then consequently pulling a face like I'd been shot in the buttock and laughing, all whilst getting ready on a Tuesday morning. His latest creation may only be a compilation of former glories, but its humour still has the same fresh allure as it always has, plus it's almost as funny as birds getting pissed. Definitely worth a look.

Top 10 Sports (Rémi GAILLARD) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kga0eKfeeTE


So guys, those are my best webgems of the week; I hope you all enjoy them half as much as I did. My next blog post will be up by next Thursday, and I hope you all stick with me and keep on reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment