Friday 21 January 2011

Weeky Roundup - Paul the Octopus, Benjamin Francis Leftwich & charlieissocoollike

Here is just a brief flavour of my past week: what I've been reading, what I've been watching and what I've been listening to. I hope you all enjoy the links and your weekend itself.

My Artist of the Week - Benjamin Francis Leftwich.
For the past few years, the genre of acoustic music has undergone somewhat of a revival and has thrived under the messiah-esque influence of such artists as Damien Rice, Joshua Radin and Newton Faulkner to name but a few. But the artist that I want to talk to you about today brings a new vibe to the genre, a vibe with clear intentions to abolish the somewhat depression-enducing stigma that has become synonymous with most things acoustic.

The artist that I refer to is Benjamin Francis Leftwich. Leftwich's sound could be most appropriately described as a refreshingly optimistic blend of lyrics that sprout roots from the very beginning of each song before immediately flourishing with an ever-increasing allure that makes the Yorkshire-born songwriter so effortless to listen to. Each line that Leftwich recites is tied to the next by a vocal delivery that befittingly carries a delicate conviction that only he has yet been able to pull off with such success. This troubadour is surely destined for success as long as he continues to bear the same enchanting, ethereal aura in his music as he has so far. To me, he is a must for any fans of Joshua Radin, Damien Rice, Jose Gonzalez and even Jazon Mraz.

Here's the link to my pick of his songs: Atlas Hands - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyue2N1XZ0M&playnext=1&list=PL6ECDF5856A1EE64C&index=68

My Story of the Week - Paul the Octopus Becomes Larger Than Life.
As some of you may know, earlier this week, football World Cup prediction sensation Paul the octopus  had a memorial built in honour of his unrivalled achievements. By unrivalled achievements I mean he would swim over to one of two boxes bearing the flags of two opposing nations prior to a World Cup match to attempt to retrieve a mussel contained within each box. Seemingly whichever box the octopus chose to approach first - before dry-humping it senseless - was chosen as the cephalopod's 'prediction', and throughout the World Cup every prediction that he made was proven to be correct. The one major flaw to this whole process was the fact that on most occasions Paul opted for the box on the right side of the tank, which also coincidentally represented the more favoured team to win each match.

Now, I have no problem with pointless memorials but this tops the lot. Don't get me wrong; I love Paul the octopus, but it's the kind of undeserved credit that makes you think maybe Jeremy Kyle deserves a knighthood for his services in the field of supplying prospective McDonald's staff with free advertising on television. I also think that if you're going to produce a monument at least don't make a six foot replica of an octopus shooting a giant football out of its own fart box. I've come to the conclusion that the monument either looks like that, or a deleted scene from Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus. Anyway, regardless of my opinion, the monument has been erected and Paul the octopus will presumably stand the test of time. Surely this marks a dawn to a new era in which future monuments will be erected for our generation's most talented, such as a ten foot tall Cillit Bang bottle in honour of Barry Scott oustanding services to advertising.

Here's the link to the photo of the monument and the story itself - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110120/ap_on_sp_ot/eu_germany_octopus_oracle

My Video of the Week - The Alex and Charlie Pilot.
Last but not least here's my video of the week. I'm going to keep it short and sweet but any fans of YouTube celebrities Charlie McDonnell, Alex Day or simply YouTube 'vloggers' in general will love this video. He's a personal favourite of mine and I'd say he's definitely worth a look.

So yeah, here's that link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7DML3VDlTA

Anyway guys, that's your lot from me for this week. I'm also contemplating whether to continue with the two blog posts a week or whether to simply revert to one which I can just put more time and effort into. So I need your opinion, to offer it to me simply vote in the poll on the right-hand side of your screen. Thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment